Why you need a copy of your Marriage Certificate
Regardless of where you are in the world, a Marriage Certificate provides legal proof that you are married, and also of your new martial name.
In the UK to register your marriage you are required to show your proof of your date of birth, nationality, photographic identification, along with current address. These forms of ID are necessary as a Marriage Certificate is a legal document which can be used in the future as identification.
8 Reason why you need a copy of your UK Marriage Certificate:
- Changing your name on a passport or drivers license. If you have taken your spouse’s surname you will be required to change your name on other legal documents including your passport and drivers license. Your marriage certificate will clearly show your maiden name, your new surname and the date of your marriage.
- Applying for a loan/mortgage with your spouse? Many banks or lenders will require a copy of your marriage certificate. This allows lenders to correlate your maiden name to your current name and check your individual credit histories.
- Health insurance and life insurance policies. In the event of a major health emergency or crisis, or the death of your spouse you will be required to present your marriage certificate to receive benefits, coverage or a payout. A marriage certificate may also be necessary when major health decisions are necessary if your spouse is not in a capacity to do so.
- If you are planning on legally changing your name you will require your marriage certificate when applying. Your marriage certificate will also have to be updated afterwards.
- Confirming your maiden name.
- If you are changing your immigration status you will be required to show legal proof of Marriage
- Taxation. Benefit from tax perks of marriage including marriage allowance along with capital gains tax advantages and inheritance tax.
- For ancestry records. A Marriage Certificate holds a wealth of information about both parties and an be helpful when investigating your family tree.
What is the cost of a Marriage Certificate in the UK?
This cost of a replacement Marriage certificate with UK Birth Certificates is only £24.95 for standard turn-around. We understand that often you will require your certificate in a hurry; for faster processing and delivery you can choose a Standard Plus Service for dispatch within 5 working days for £44.95, or a Priority Service for dispatch within 1-2 working days and overnight tracked delivery for £64.95.
We recommend storing your certificate in a filing cabinet or fire-rated safe with other important documents, including your birth certificate and insurance.
What information is required to purchase a replacement Marriage Certificate?
- The forename and surname of both parties – required
- The date, or approximate date of marriage
- Place of Marriage – nearest town or city
- Venue – Church or registry office if known
- Names of the married parties’ parents