What You Need to Get Married in the UK

Wedding Rings

For most people, the wedding day plans have been in thought for months or years, with obsession over venues, bridal gowns, guests as well as food. So much goes into the detailing. For others, marriage is a simple way to formalise the partnership that requires no more than essentials. Regardless of how you plan your wedding day, there are a few steps that need to be taken before getting married – the formalities. Here is what you need to get married in the UK.

What you need to get married in the UK

Give at least 28 days notice of marriage.

In the UK, in order for marriage or civil partnership to be legal, you need to give at least 28 days notice at your local register office. There is an exception to this, however. If you are a British citizen or from the European Economic Area (EEA) and have the wedding in an Anglican church, you normally will not need to register your marriage.

Documents you will need to register your marriage.

As marriage is legally binding, you will require several identification documents. These form your proof of identity. The registry office will require proof of your name and date of birth. Also, they will need your nationality as well as proof of address. Many will also require photographic identification.

  • Current passport (proof of nationality)
  • Birth Certificate (proof of age)
  • Certificate of naturalisation
  • European Economic Area national identity card
  • Deed poll documentation if you have had a change of name
  • Current UK or EEA drivers licence
  • A current utility bill that shows your address
  • Bank statement from the last 12 months that shows your current address
  • Tenancy agreement which shows your current address

Further Reading: Fastest Way to Get a UK Replacement Birth Certificate

A decree absolute or final order will be required if you are remarrying after a divorce. If you are a widow, you will need a death certificate of your former spouse.

Once you have registered your marriage, your intention will be displayed in the register office for 28 days. From there your marriage registration is valid for one year for marriages and civil partnerships.

Planning on marrying abroad?

If you are planning a destination wedding outside of the UK then you will most likely require a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI). This official government issued document clearly indicates there are no objections to your marriage, so you are free to marry.

To obtain a Certificate of No Impediment, inform the registry office when you are applying for your register your marriage. You should take your CNI with you overseas and give it to the correct government body who requires this document.

Get your documents in order

If you need a birth certificate copy to apply for marriage in the UK, we can help. UK Official Certificates has an expert team ready to check your application and cross-reference all details to make sure everything goes smoothly. We can also help with marriage certificate replacement when needed.

Article written by

About Us

Ordering replacement certificates has never been easier. Over the past 15+ years, UK Official Certificates has helped over 600,000 customers obtain duplicate official documents without difficult paperwork.

Order Replacement Certificate

If you need a replacement certificate, you can order copies here:


Latest Posts

Any Questions?

Can’t find the answer to your question? We’d love to hear from you. You can contact us on sales@uk-birth-certificate.co.uk