Like applying for any official document of identity, there is specific criteria to determine your eligibility. Additionally, you will need to supply identification documents to prove your identity at the time of application. A UK Birth Certificate or Adoption Certificate are some of the documents that you will need.
Firstly, let’s take a look at what are the criteria to apply for a British Passport.
Eligibility for British Passport
If you’re a British citizen with the right status, then applying for your own passport should be easy. But there are some situations in which an application could be declined – let’s explore these now!
You may not be eligible for a new British passport or your existing passport may be retained if:
- Your travel has been restricted by a court order or the court order prevents you holding a valid passport
- You have bail conditions preventing you leaving the UK
- You currently have a EU or UN order that prevents your travel
- You are the suspect in a serious crime and an arrest warrant has been issued
When you apply for your passport, criteria such as above shall be considered as a routine part of determining if you are entitled to being issued one.
As an applicant for a new British passport or to renew an existing one, your nationality is another essential factor. You must be one of the below:
- British Subject
- British Citizen
- British Overseas Citizen
- British Overseas Territories Citizen
- British National – Overseas
- British Protected Person
Official Documents you will need to apply:
- Your supporting documents must be original documents. Photocopies are not accepted.
- If you do not have your original birth certificate, then you will need to Apply for an Official Copy of your Birth Certificate.
- If your birth certificate or other documents are not written in English or Welsh you will require a Certified Translation.
Further Reading: What Can You Use a Birth Certificate For?
How to get your first adult passport UK:
If you were born BEFORE 1st January 1983:
If you were born on or after the 1st of January 1983:
You will also require one of the below documents:
- An official copy of your mother’s or father’s Full UK birth certificate, or the Home Office Certificate of registration or naturalisation.
- A British passport in the name of one of your parents that was valid at the date of your birth.
- Or a British passport number for one of your parents.
Evidence that supports one of your parents’ status of immigration into the UK at the date of your birth (example – a foreign passport in the name of your father or mother which was valid on the date of your birth
Applying Online for your First UK Adult Passport
When you apply online you will require additionally:
- A digital photo of yourself
- A person who can confirm your identity
- The above-supporting documents outlined
- A credit or debit card
Once you have everything in order to commence your application you proceed to the Official Government Secure website to commence your online application.
Lost your Birth or Adoption Certificate?
Have you lost your birth or adoption certificate? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Millions of people lose their important documents every year. But don’t worry, UK Official Certificates can help. We specialise in helping people get Replacement Birth Certificate and Replacement Adoption Certificate quickly and easily.
We have a team of experienced professionals who can help you with every step of the process. Over the last 15+ years, we have helped over 600,000 customers obtain duplicate official documents. We make the whole process easier, can spot any errors in your applications and help avoid unnecessary delays.
Article written by Mark
Ordering replacement certificates has never been easier. Over the past 15+ years, UK Official Certificates has helped over 600,000 customers obtain duplicate official documents without difficult paperwork.
Order Replacement Certificate
If you need a replacement certificate, you can order copies here:
Can’t find the answer to your question? We’d love to hear from you. You can contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org